PLAN FOR RETURN TO PRACTICE IN RESPECT OF COVID-19
This plan was developed with the goal of reducing the risk of exposure to the virus that causes Covid-19 for both patient/client and therapist within our practical setting. The following are the protocols we at Leaning Cedar Therapy have put in place in order to resume practice as safely as possible.
“Coronavirus is transmitted via liquid droplets when a person coughs or sneezes. The virus can enter though these droplets though the eyes, nose or throat if you are in close contact. The virus is not known to be airborne (eg. Transmitted through the particles floating in the air) and is not something that comes through the skin. It can be spread by touch if a person has used their hands to cover their mouth to nose when they cough or sneeze. That’s why we recommend you cough or sneeze into your arm and wash your hands regularly.”
The overall aim of these protocols is to reduce potential coronavirus transmissions by:
• Requiring ongoing self-assessment for signs of Covid-19 related illness in both the patient/client and the therapist
• Reducing all physical, non-treatment related interactions amongst all people within the practice environment
• Hand hygiene requirements
• Avoid face touching
• Enhanced cleaning protocols
• Appropriate use of personal protective equipment (PPE)
• Meeting professional obligations, particularly related to informed consent and liability insurance
Informed Consent and Self Assessment for Symptoms for Covid-19 for the Patient/Client
It is important for the patient/client to understand that there is always some risk in transmission of Covid-19 with massage therapy or any manual therapy. Although the there protocols in place, we cannot reduce the risk to zero.
The patient/client will be required to fill out an assessment and consent form prior to each appointment. The consent form and if needed, the clarification with your therapist MUST be done for the appointment to proceed. Failure to comply with these protocols will result in the appointment being cancelled.
Pre-screen tools can also be found here https://bc.thrive.health/covid19/en
If the Patient/Client suddenly presents with any of the Symptoms prior to their appointment, they are required to immediately contact their therapist to cancel the appointment. If the Patient/Client suddenly presents with Symptoms after the appointment, they are required to contact their therapist as well as contact 811.
The therapist will document the consent at every treatment.
Self Assessment for Symptoms of Covid-19 for the Therapist
• The therapist will also complete a self assessment daily and commits to cancelling all appointments if symptoms appear as well as contact 811. The therapist will cease working until cleared by a healthcare professional.
Symptoms of Covid-19 are similar to other respiratory illnesses and seasonal allergies and can range from mild to severe. An appointment must be cancelled immediately if the following symptoms present:
o Shortness of Breath
o Sore throat or pain with swallowing
o Stuffy or runny nose
o Loss of sense of smell
o Muscle aches
o Loss of appetite
Treatment & Hygiene
• The therapist will wash hands thoroughly for 20seconds prior to treating. There will also be hand sanitizing stations throughout the studio for both therapist and patient/client.
• The patient/client will be asked to remove shoes upon entry and use hand sanitizer
• The therapist will ask the patient/client to refrain from touching their face and communicate with the patient/client that coronavirus can be submitted by touch if droplets are on the hand when it touches the face, as it can transfer those infected droplets to the mouth, nose or eyes.
• Each Client will be given a bin exclusive to them at that treatment to put items such as clothing, wallets, phone etc which will also be cleaned before next use
• Visibly soiled surfaces will be cleaned followed by a disinfection with a Health Canada Approved grade cleaning supply for use against Covid-19 disinfectant.
• All linens including blankets will be cleaned using high heat, detergent and bleach between each use and transported in a washable bag.
• All product containers will also be cleaned between treatments, such as oil bottles.
Personal Protective Equipment
• The therapist will wear a single use or washable mask if requested by the patient/client.
• If the therapist requests the patient/client to wear a mask, one will be provided for them.
• The therapist will wear non-latex gloves if/when appropriate
• The therapist remains in good standing with their regulatory body and commits to following the Health guidelines required of them related to Covid-19.
• The therapist carries professional insurance and is in good standing with their insurer by following the screening questionnaire required.
In the Event of an Diagnosis with Covid-19
• A patient will inform the therapist immediately if diagnosed with Covid-19
• The therapist will inform patients immediately of a diagnosis within the studio staff or clientele
• If a patient/client alleges they caught Covid-19 from the therapist, the therapist will immediately cease working and call 811 to report the alleged transmission, providing both the name of the therapist and the contact details of the client; the patient/client must agree to release this information in order to receive treatment.
• All massage therapy treatments will be cancelled and the therapist will cease to provide treatment until Public Health has investigated to provide direction.
• The therapist will immediately self isolate until Public Health has investigated and provided direction.